From "Travis Vitek" <Travis.Vi...@roguewave.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r647908 - in /stdcxx/trunk/tests: self/0.printf.cpp src/fmt_defs.h src/printf.cpp
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 23:41:19 GMT

>Travis Vitek wrote:
>
>So now I'm asking myself the question. Should I just revert this change
>and then 'fix' all of the existing code that uses static buffers to use
>dynamic ones, or should I be fixing the code that is expecting
>rw_asnprintf() to deallocate the buffer. I can't really use the
>asprintf() as a reference because rw_asnprintf() behave very
>differently in this respect. The asprintf() function always allocates
>a buffer of the appropriate size and never looks at the contents of the
>provided pointer.
>
>In case it matters. I think I can fix the offending test driver/suite
>code in about 3 hours.
>
>Travis

Fixing this problem is likely to require more much more discussion and
implementation time. Being that the 4.2.1 release target is so close I
think it would be best to revert my recent changes completely and to
workaround this issue in the one place that it is necessary.

I realize that this is fixing a symptom instead of addressing the actual
problem, but at this point in time I think it is the best thing to do.

Travis