From "Eric Lemings" <Eric.Lemi...@roguewave.com>
Subject RE: ABI problem on Darwin (was: Re: [VOTE] stdcxx 4.2.1 release)
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 19:28:51 GMT

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Travis Vitek [mailto:Travis.Vitek@roguewave.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:10 PM
> To: dev@stdcxx.apache.org
> Subject: RE: ABI problem on Darwin (was: Re: [VOTE] stdcxx
> 4.2.1 release)

> Is this something that we want?

Yeah after futher deliberation, I think you're right.  We probably don't
want to specify the full path name and either omit the path altogether
or use the @executable_path form.

Question though.  Is the STDCXX library relocatable (in terms of install
directory) on other platforms?

I do know that Darwin/MacOS X packages ("bundles" they're called) are
installed and work quite a bit differently than most other Unix OSes.
On most Unix systems, hypothetical package `Foo` distributed with
install files `bin/foo`, `lib/libfoo.so`, and `include/foo.h` are
usually installed in /usr or /usr/local (or some other standard
location) along with many other package files.  The equivalent package
on Darwin/MacOS X would be installed in its own package directory: e.g.
`/Applications/Foo/bin/foo`, `/Applications/Foo/lib/libfoo.so` (with a
.dylib link), and `/Applications/Foo/include/foo.h`.

Brad.