From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r648128 - /stdcxx/trunk/tests/src/driver.cpp
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:37:21 GMT
Farid Zaripov wrote:
> From: Travis Vitek [mailto:Travis.Vitek@roguewave.com]
> To: dev@stdcxx.apache.org
> Subject: RE: svn commit: r648128 - /stdcxx/trunk/tests/src/driver.cpp
>
>>>       * tests/src/driver.cpp [_MSC_VER] (_rw_opt_verbose):
>>>       Turn on checking the memory at every allocation and
>>>       deallocation in verbose mode.
>
>> Perhaps this should be put into its own routine option. I believe that
>> this memory checking can slow things down quite a bit, and I'd like to
>> avoid that overhead when doing verbose checking.
>

>   And how often you're doing verbose checking? :) I see that the only difference between
the
> verbose and non-verbose modes is printing the description (diag_msgs[].desc) in diag
messages.
> So I thought that --verbose option is used very rarely at this time and the name of this
option
> is corresponding to added actions - verbose checking the using of the heap memory :)
>
>>>       (_rw_opt_compat): Disable MSVC debug popup's in compat mode.
>
>> According to some conversation we had with Martin last week, this should
>> have been enabled all the time. If this is the case, maybe this code
>> should be moved to rw_vtest() to make that happen?
>
>   Why? Personally I found the debug MSVC popups very useful in debugging. You can't miss
> the debug message because you have to press some button in message box to close it.
> And you need press the only one button ("Retry") to launch and attach the debugger and
see
> the source file on failing line with call stack. If they are will be disabled all the
time, you will
> need scan the program output for the debug messages and then wast some time to find the
> failing line in source code... Of course we can enable these popups by adding a new program
> option, but I launching the tests from IDE most of time and it's not convinient to specify
the
> program options manually for every test (but I found that I can use the RWSTD_TESTOPTS
> environment variable for this :) ).

IMO, there are at least three distinct use cases when it comes
to debugging tests on Windows:

   1. running the test in the debugger
   2. running the test on the command line
   3. running the test in batch mode

I can see how having the debugger stop with a pop-up window at
the point of an error would be useful in the IDE. The function
IsDebuggerPresent() can be used to detect if a program runs in
a debugger and automatically enable the pop-ups if they are
otherwise disabled.

I'm less sure the pop-ups are necessarily always useful when
running the test on the command line, although I agree that
there certainly are situations when it is convenient.

Finally, in batch mode we definitely don't want any interactive
pop-ups.

So in my mind the question comes down to: do we want the pop-ups
on in (2) by default or off? If the latter, why not turn them off
unconditionally and add a new option to enable them?

Martin