From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: OpenMP support?
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:36:51 GMT
Eric Lemings wrote:

>>>From what I understand, OpenMP is still a niche technology, used
> primarily
> on massively parallel architectures, for subatomic particle simulations
> and that sort of thing.  Interesting, yes.  But useful?  That's
> debatable.
>
> Also, the OpenMP specification relies heavily on preprocessing
> directives
> and other language features so its not like most conventional
> technologies
> for concurrent programming such as the traditional library API.
>
> It's something of a paradigm shift.

Right, OpenMP is all about #pragmas. Although it provides callable
APIs as well. We could certainly make use of OpenMP synchronization
primitives in the library without a lot of effort, but I'm not sure
if that's what Mark had in mind. Making use of OpenMP to actually
parallelize library algorithms (just like GNU libstdc++ has been
doing lately) would be a much more ambitious (but also much more
interesting) undertaking.

Martin