From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: STDCXX-435
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:42:16 GMT
I don't think it's that simple. IIRC, the problem is that we're using
mbsrtowcs() on sequences that aren't guaranteed to be NUL-terminated.
It seems that it should be straightforward to either specify a limit
to mbsrtowcs() that's small enough so as to prevent the function from
ever reaching the end of the (non-NUL-terminated) source sequence, or
make sure there is a NUL at the end (by copying the short subsequence
at the end of the source sequence into a small local buffer and NUL
terminating it there. I recall trying to get that approach to work
at first and failing. I don't remember why it didn't work anymore,
if it was because the code became too complex and inefficient or
if it simply wasn't possible to guarantee that it would be correct
in all cases.

In any event, I came to the conclusion that we can't call mbsrtowcs()
to convert whole ranges of characters at once but that we must do the
conversion one character at a time instead. That's what the attached
patch does (I think). Since I wrote it months ago I don't remember
how extensively I tested it, or if it even applies cleanly after so
much time has passed. It does appear to fix the bug in the originally
submitted test case though :)

Martin