From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: STDCXX-401
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 04:25:11 GMT
Scott Zhong wrote:

> [...]

That may be but there are also makefiles and scripts. Of these,
at least the run_locale_utils.sh shell script uses TMP instead
of TMPDIR. I knew there was a script that did that when I first
responded, I was just too lazy to find it. I found it now but
I wonder if there are others like it. We need to review them
all to make sure they all do the right thing.

[...]
> Sorry Martin, I follow the guidelines more closely.  Since there are 2
> more files with this patch, are subtasks needed?

I don't think so.

My rule of thumb for splitting up an issue into subtasks is when
the issue readily decomposes into one or more clearly separable
tasks that are useful to track separately. STDCXX-401 is about the
whole test suite honoring the TMPDIR variable, so splitting it up
into a subtask for each file that needs to be changes doesn't seem
necessary or appropriate. I don't think there are any dependencies
between the changes to each of the files and I can't think of any
reason why tracking the task of changing of each of the files
separately would be useful.

Here's some background on subtasks from the Jira manual:
http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/latest/subtasks_creating.html

Martin