From "Eric Lemings" <>
Subject RE: [Vote] stdcxx naming in sourcepro builds
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:45:44 GMT

To resolve these installation-related issues, I suspect the STDCXX
distribution will need functionality similar to pkg-config
( which provides clients with
the necessary details (install directories, compiler flags, library
names, etc.) but also extended to provide a list of installed build
configurations.  (Some open source projects use this utility directly,
others use a stand-alone, hand-written script.)

For example, a hypothetical script and usage:

    Usage: stdcxx-config [TAG OPTIONS]

      --prefix	Prints the directory where TAG is installed
	--cxxflags	Prints the necessary compile flags for building
with TAG
	--ldlibs	Prints the necessary link libraries for building
with TAG
      --ldflags   Prints the necessary link flags for building with TAG
	...other pkg-config-like options...

    If no options are specified, stdcxx-config prints a list of
    configuration tags, one per line, for each build configuration
    on this system.

This will allow STDCXX to install builds built with different compilers,
different diagnostic tools, etc. though a user-defined build tag may
be required when configuring the build to identify it.

View raw message