From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Convention for merge changelogs
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 23:28:15 GMT
Travis Vitek wrote:
> I've noticed that we aren't being consistent about the changelog text
> for merged changes. Here are a few examples.
>
> 	http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=617627&view=rev
> 	http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=614790&view=rev
> 	http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=612563&view=rev
> 	http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=616004&view=rev
>
> As you can see there isn't much consistency. Sometimes we copy the
> date-user-email line from the original commit, simetimes we don't.
> Sometimes we list the jira issue number on a line of its own. Is there
> an expected or required format for the merge changelogs?

We started out with the second one on your list for merges involving
just one change. The generic form I've seen is the third one down,
i.e.,

It scales beyond merging just a single change.

FWIW, I've been waffling on how/when it's best to do merges during
development. There are cases when I'd rather we hold off on merging
a change until it's gotten more exposure, both on the list and in
nightly testing. That way, when the change turns out to cause
problems on some platforms it only needs to be fixed on trunk. In
these cases, it might make sense to wait and merge a whole bunch
of good changes instead of just one. Then there are trivial changes
that are probably best merged right away and waiting would just add
unnecessary overhead. For these, the simple format should be good
enough.

After Feature Freeze, our release process says that only the RM
does merges. Unless the RM wants to merge each change individually
the multi-change format is the only one that makes sense.

Martin