From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: _RWSTD_VER value on trunk
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:15:24 GMT
Mark Brown wrote:
> Have you considered what it's going to mean for merges between branches?

I confess I had not. What is it going to mean? (That we might
inadvertently overwrite the hardcoded value as we merge changes
from a branch to trunk or between two branches?)

> Wouldn't letting the Makefile figure out the version from the pathname of one
> of the files be more reliable? If Subversion is like CVS and understands the
> $Source$ keyword you could even use it.

AFAICT from the manual, Subversion doesn't support the $Source$
keyword. It does have something similar, though: $HeadURL$ which
expands to "the full URL to the latest version of the file in the
repository:"
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn-book.html#svn.advanced.props.special.keywords

If I understand correctly what you're suggesting, we could use it
in GNUMakefile.cfg to extract the name of the branch (or trunk)
and #define _RWSTD_VER in the generated config header. This would
(obviously) imply that we would need to remove the macro from the
library sources, and also that there would be no way to tell the
version of the library by simply grepping for the value of the
macro in the headers. One would either need to configure the
library first, or extract it from the name of $TOPDIR. For
maintenance branches like 4.2.x, we would also lose the ability
to #define _RWSTD_VER to the next version (e.g., 4.2.1, as it
is now). But we'd lose this ability if we were to adopt Andrew's
scheme as well.

I very much like the idea of storing the version in just one place
(i.e., the branch name) and automatically extracting it from there
but I'm not 100% sure I understand all the ramifications of this
solution to be completely sold on it yet.

What do others think? Does anyone see any significant downsides
to Mark's idea?

Martin