From "Farid Zaripov" <Farid_Zari...@epam.com>
Subject RE: [RFC] stdcxx release process, second draft
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:01:47 GMT
> Martin Sebor wrote:
> >
> > I've incorporated everyone's feedback and committed an
> updated version
> > with a number of enhancements of my own. Among the most
> important are
> > the new Goals section with suggested frequencies of
> releases, and the
> > integration of the Version Policy (I plan to delete versions.html).
> > Let me know what you think.
> >
> >     http://incubator.apache.org/stdcxx/releases.html

  I have no objections on this document.

  Here the some examples (the only source incompatible changes):

1. Source incompatible changes

1.1. Merging two or more overloaded functions/methods in one using
default parameters:
      I.e. replacing void std::vector::resize (size_type) and void
std::vector::resize (size_type, value_type)
with void std::vector::resize (size_type, value_type = value_type()).

1.2. Implementing the additional overloads (extensions) of the standard
functions/methods:
      I.e. adding std::ostream& std::ostream::operator<< (std::ostream&,
const wchar*).

1.3. Adding some function/class in global namespace, that may interfere
with user-defined function/class
      (i.e without using '__; prefix):
      I.e. adding function void print (const char* str) { std::cout <<
str << std::endl; } may conflict with user defined
      void print (const char* str) { std::printf ("%s", str); } due to
multiple function definition.

1.4. Adding some public/protected methods not specified by standard,
that may interfere with user-defined
      methods in classes, inherited from the library class.

1.5. Adding some macros that may accidentally modify the user code: i.e.
#define new(p) malloc (p).

1.6. Moving some declarations from one header file to another without
#including the second one in the first
      may cause "unknown identifier" compiler error.

Farid.