From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] stdcxx release process, second draft
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:40:16 GMT
Travis Vitek wrote:

> Martin Sebor wrote:
>>> So here's a question: do we think STDCXX-336 doable for 4.2.1?
>> Also, what's your take on STDCXX-242 and STDCXX-343? I think there
>> might be others where it's not completely clear (at least to me)
>> what is forward compatible and what's not.
>>

> STDCXX-343 is quite source incompatible. It is one of those weird cases that
> I can't imagine that a user would intentionally write, and even if they did
> they might not get the results that they want (undefined behavior).

You're right. Even if some members of std::auto_ptr<void> have
undefined behavior removing the body of the whole specialization
is a source incompatible change that needs to wait until at least
4.3, if not 5.0. The only reason why I think we might want to
even consider removing it in 4.3 is that the existence of the
specialization of the current template represents a bug in the
C++ standard and (likely) also a bug in user code.

Martin