From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: missing build line for 22.locale.codecvt.out
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:30:00 GMT
Travis Vitek wrote:
[...]
> So now we are pretty sure we know what is happening. All target names that
> end in .out will match to the pattern rule for generating .out files first.
> The question is how to fix it. Here are the options I see.

Thanks for the analysis!

>     1. rename the source file so the generated executable will not end in
> .out
>     2. change the .out rule to generate output files with some other
> extension
>     3. create an rule that is a better match than %.out so that rule is
> selected for 22.locale.codecvt.out
>     4. create a new makefile that includes the original GNUmakefile.tst, but
> defines the more explicit rule mentioned in 3
>
> I dislike option 3 the most,

Between 2 and 3 I think I actually like 3 better. It seems general
enough to eliminate all ill-effects of the overly generic %.out: %
rule. And it's very simple (at least in my tests it was):

%.foo: %.foo.c
	touch $@

> and from the sound of it you won't want to use
> option 1. So how does option 2 sound?

Another possibility might be to enable the %.out: % rule only for
examples and disable it for tests and everything else work? We don't
need to create .out files anywhere else, do we?

Martin