From Travis Vitek <vi...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: low hanging fruit while cleaning up test failures
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 22:09:19 GMT

Martin Sebor wrote:

> I suspect there might be some low hanging fruit in the form of tests
> that are simply timing out due the sheer volume of data they process.
>
> Specifically, the ctype tests (22.locale.ctype, 22.locale.ctype.is,
> 22.locale.ctype.mt, 22.locale.ctype.narrow, 22.locale.ctype.tolower
> and 22.locale.ctype.toupper) all time out and fail with SIGHUP in
> all builds on AIX.

I actually think there are a few more, but yes, they are all timing out.

Martin Sebor wrote:

> See the following report for AIX 5.3:
> http://people.apache.org/~sebor/stdcxx/results/aix-5.3-ppc-vacpp-9.0.html
>
> I suspect it's because the tests exercise the facet in all locales
> installed on the system. I checked one of our AIX servers and locale
> -a reports 603 installed locales! That's almost twice as many as on
> Linux and Solaris and nearly four times as many as on HP-UX. IMO,
> it's excessive to be exhaustively test the facet in every single
> installed locale on any platform. I'm sure we can safely reduce
> the set to just a few representative locales in the most popular
> encodings (ISO-8859-*, UTF-8, EUC, and probably BIG5 and GB18030).
>
> Martin

Just FYI, this is covered in STDCXX-608.

Yes, I agree. This appears to be a problem with the single-threaded tests
only. All of The threaded tests that I looked at use only the first 16 or 32
locales returned by rw_locales(). The threaded tests fail due to timeout
also, but this is likely because the loop count is so very large [200000
iterations per thread for some].

The rw_locales() method already seems to support filtering the locale list
with `grep', so it appears that only the tests need to be modified.

Travis