From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r588290 - /incubator/stdcxx/branches/4.2.x/etc/config/windows/projectdef.js
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:49:50 GMT
Farid Zaripov wrote:

>   I don't completely understand which one unstable results could be?
>
>   After the patch:
> 1. in static builds the source pdb is generating in OutDir with
>    the name libstdxx.pdb; the binary pdb doesn't exist since the
>    static library is produced by lib.exe, but not by link.exe.

This is exactly what you want, yes!

> 2. in dynamic builds the source pdb and the binary pdb both
>    generating in OutDir using the single file with the name
>    libstdxx.pdb.

This one is more problematic.  Source and Binary .pdb's are two different
file formats, you've corrupted the one creating the other.  You might want
to deploy the source pdb as $(IntDir)/stdlibxx_src.pdb - which is as temporary
as any of the object files in the build.  But - if you tweak one file and
recompile, you won't have problems with the resulting $(OutDir)/stdlibxx.pdb
losing any context from the previous .pdb for the modules that aren't rebuilt.

>   So you propose to revert the patch only for dynamic builds?

Don't revert, you were on the right track :)  I'd just take this one step
further as I mentioned above.