From "Farid Zaripov" <Farid_Zari...@epam.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r574618 - in /incubator/stdcxx/trunk: README configure.bat generate.bat
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:03:03 GMT

  AFAIK the svn-client not support symbolic links on windows.

>From http://subversion.tigris.org/ :
---------
# Versioning of symbolic links
Unix users can place symbolic links under version control. The links are
recreated in Unix working copies, but not in win32 working copies.
---------

  Another source http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html :
---------
svn:special

The svn:special property is the only svn: property that isn't meant to
be directly set or modified by users. Subversion automatically sets this
property whenever a "special" object is scheduled for addition, such as
a symbolic link. The repository stores an svn:special object as an
ordinary file. However, when a client sees this property during
checkouts or updates, it interprets the contents of the file and
translates the item back into the special type of object. In Subversion
1.1, only versioned symbolic links have this property attached, but in
future versions of Subversion other special types of nodes will probably
use this property as well.

Note: Windows clients don't have symbolic links, and thus ignore any
svn:special files coming from a repository that claim to be symbolic
links. On Windows, the user ends up with an ordinary versioned file in
the working copy.
---------

  Because of that the filebuf example always fail with DIFF status on my
workstation
(the manual/out/filebuf.out is a symbolic link to manual/filebuf.cpp,
but on windows
the content of this file is just single line: "link ../filebuf.cpp").

  I surprized how this example runs with status 0 in nightly builds.

Farid.