From "Travis Vitek" <tvi...@quovadx.com>
Subject RE: running tests linked with stdcxx.dll on Windows
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 22:07:09 GMT

Martin,

There is a build configuration option that for generate.bat that appears
to setup the project files to copy the dll into the executable directory
so that it can be found at runtime. If you didn't specify that option
when generating the solution and project files, you will either need to
copy the .dll into the directory of the excutable, or make sure that it
can be found in your PATH.

I found that if I enabled the option when generating the solution it
added a post-build rule to copy the dlls into the executable directory,
but the post-build step always failed to copy the rwtest.dll into place.
Here is a paste of the post-build rule. I've added the 'echo' lines to
expose the problem that I was seeing

  echo copying $(SolutionDir)15d\lib\libstd15d.dll to
$(OutDir)\libstd15d.dll
  if exist "$(SolutionDir)15d\lib\libstd15d.dll" (
    del "$(OutDir)\libstd15d.dll"
    copy /Y "$(SolutionDir)15d\lib\libstd15d.dll"
"$(OutDir)\libstd15d.dll"
  )

  echo copying $(SolutionDir)15d\tests\rwtest.dll to
$(OutDir)\rwtest.dll
  if exist "$(SolutionDir)15d\tests\rwtest.dll" (
    del "$(OutDir)\rwtest.dll"
    copy /Y "$(SolutionDir)15d\tests\rwtest.dll" "$(OutDir)\rwtest.dll"
  )

Here is the output when attempt to build/run the 0.inputiter test after
building the .rwtest project.

  Performing Post-Build Event...
  copying C:\build\stdcxx\win32.vc8x\msvc-8.0\15d\lib\libstd15d.dll to
C:\build\stdcxx\win32.vc8x\msvc-8.0\15d\tests\libstd15d.dll
        1 file(s) copied.
  copying C:\build\stdcxx\win32.vc8x\msvc-8.0\15d\tests\rwtest.dll to
C:\build\stdcxx\win32.vc8x\msvc-8.0\15d\tests\rwtest.dll

The output that I get indicates that '$(SolutionDir)\15d\tests' is the
same as '$(OutDir)'. So the post build rule is actually deleting the
rwtest.dll and then trying to copy the deleted file. Maybe the
projects.js script should be updated to print the names of the files
that are being manipulated and avoid deleting the destination file if it
is the same as the source.

Travis