From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] draft stdcxx resolution for the Board
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:23:59 GMT
Eric Lemings wrote:

> [...]

I agree it's easier to pronounce and probably will be easier to
remember. If it was easy to change I'd be all for it. The issue
is that a) I don't know how easy it would be to change, and b)
I may not have the bandwidth to try to find out. If you would
like to try I'll support you but you'll have to do the legwork.
I.e., find out (either from our mentors or from the rest of the
Incubator) how difficult such a change would be, how we would
go about implementing it, and by how long it would delay our
graduation.

> Hypothetical scenario: another acronym is proposed, be it "ASL" or
> whatever, and it is well received.  Unanimously in fact.
>
> Would all this required work still be worth the change?  If the answer
> is yes, then it's a good idea.
>
> I just have the feeling that people will associate "STDCXX" more with
> Rogue Wave Software rather than the Apache Foundation.  So in that
> respect, ANY new acronym will be a better choice.

I'm not sure I see why that would be the case. We (Rogue Wave)
have made it clear that stdcxx is the Apache implementation of
the C++ Standard Library:

   http://www.roguewave.com/standard-library/

Martin