From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r569152 - /incubator/stdcxx/branches/4.2.0/etc/config/src/LIMITS.cpp
Date Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:37:02 GMT
Mark Brown wrote:
> [...]
what the rationale for the 78 character limit is when even the VT100 displays have 80 columns?

Opening a file with 80 characters per line in emacs with a buffer
width set to 80 columns will wrap the last character of the next
line. So if all you have to work with is an 80x24 text terminal
and want to run emacs in it you want files to have no more than
79 characters per line. You can recreate this experience in an
xterm or similar terminal by setting it to 80 characters and
starting emacs with the -nw option.

Martin