From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Exec utility test group reporting
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:59:06 GMT
Andrew Black wrote:
> Greetings all.
>
> Attached is a patch that aims to add some logic to the exec utility to
> report the type of executable being processed.  Part of the purpose of
> this change is to assist in making the result parsing more robust.
>
> I am not particularly satisfied with this change for a couple reasons.
> One is because the doxygen comments are getting out of date, and need to
> be gone over.

For some reason, I happened to be thinking about the Doxygen
comments in the test driver recently. My feeling is that we
should either use them consistently and start using Doxygen
to generate docs for the test driver or change then to ordinary
comments. I see no point in (not) maintaining them for just
a handful of files.

> The second is the way data is passed from cmdopt.cpp to
> display.cpp.  The current method used is to overload the target_opts
> struct to include the new parameter, but this feels like the wrong way
> to do things.  This method was chosen because the verbose flag is
> currently included there, but the exec subsystem shouldn't care about
> either of these things.  (The verbose output mode also feels like it was
> hacked on, but that's irrelevant to this topic.)

I agree. I don't like it either. Seems to me that we're lumping
two unrelated things together: global options for the whole utility
(e.g., the verbosity setting) and options (potentially) specific to
each target. I think it would be worthwhile to split them up. If
you think that's a reasonable solution and a manageable project
I'm in favor of implementing it.

> Does anyone have thoughts on this patch?  I should note that some
> changes to the windows infrastructure will be needed to keep the
> behavior in sync with the unix infrastructure.

It looks okay to me (modulo the above, and a few minor formatting
issues -- please double check your spaces).

Martin