From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Apache "look and feel" for stdcxx docs
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:41:16 GMT
Liviu Nicoara wrote:
> Martin Sebor wrote:
>> Liviu Nicoara wrote:
>>> Martin Sebor wrote:
>> Which list? Is there any project that you liked in particular?
>
> http://directory.apache.org the most.

You mean the top banner? I like it okay but I like some others better.
If I had to pick one it would probably be Maven (maven.apache.org).
Not necessarily the graphic on the right but the overall design of
the banner.

>> FWIW, I like the Web interface to the Standard C++ Library
>> documentation for IBM XLC/C++ 9.0, especially the expandable
>> navigation frame on the left.
>
> Yes, functionally it is complete and it provides a good user experience.
>
>  From an aesthetic point of view it could use a bit of color -- perhaps
> a comfortable, subtly colored background, more eye-pleasing icons, etc.

Sure. That's always a matter of personal preference but I agree that
the predominant black/white/gray makes it a little dull.

> Also, it wouldn't hurt to have browser-neutral html as advocated here:
>
> http://www.anybrowser.org/

I agree. That shouldn't be something new, though. AFAICT, we're
already there.

> E.g., my Firefox renders IBM's site poorly (overlapping text, frames,
> etc.).

I don't see any serious problems in my browsers (Seamonkey 1.0.9 or
FireFox 1.5.0.12) but I can imagine that the navigation tree might
give some browsers trouble. We're also constrained by Marc's schedule
as to how fancy we can get in these improvements.

Martin