From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: ezmlm stripping Outlook attachments
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:05:54 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On 8/7/07, Martin Sebor <sebor@roguewave.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We've had a number of complaints about ezmlm stripping plain text
>> attachments to posts such as patches sent by Microsoft Outlook.
>> Other mailers (e.g., Mozilla) don't have this problem.
>
> IIRC this was a measure put in place by infrastructure after numerous
> complaints about viruses being mailed to lists by outlook. ask on
> infrastructure for a definitive answer.

Will do.

FWIW, after some experimenting we've figured out that Outlook
sends text attachments with extensions other than .txt with
MIME type of application/octet-stream, and encodes those with
the .txt extension in base64. So far no one on stdcxx-dev has
been able to figure out how to make it send them as plain/text.
People have been using other mailers to send to the list. Is
Outlook really this bad or are we overlooking something? Are
there any Outlook users here who have a better experience?

>> Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with it other
>> that to switch to a different mailer?
>
> inline short text after the email body eg.
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/james-server-dev/200708.mbox/%3cf470f68e0708011402w31f2f386if011d01d4d105125@mail.gmail.com%3e
>
> longer text is better in JIRA

Right. That's been our approach.

>> More generally, is there
>> a document that describes the do's and don'ts of posting to
>> Apache lists?
>
> some but they could do with some more work :-/
>
> eg http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html

Thanks! These are useful guidelines on the mailing list etiquette.

> anyone interested in pulling together some better documentation?

I'd be happy to help by sharing/documenting our experiences but
before I try to impart our wisdom on the masses I'd like to hear
how others have dealt with the problem.

Martin