From "Michael van der Westhuizen" <r1mi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: config with wide has no effect on Solaris/Intel + patch
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2007 22:32:15 GMT
Hi Martin,

On 7/7/07, Martin Sebor <sebor@roguewave.com> wrote:
[snip]

> I recall reading somewhere that Sun C++ 5.9 supports the gcc -m64
> option but I can't find the reference. Do you happen to have a link?
> The x86 equivalent I was able to find in the online documentation is
> still -xarch=amd64 (I couldn't find -m64 in the manual):
> http://docs.sun.com/source/819-3690/Comp_Options_App.html#pgfId-999544

I picked the flags up here -
http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/documentation/ss12/whatsnew.html

The xarch flags used result in compile-time warnings with C++ 5.9, so
the -mXX options are really necessary.

It's possible to further tune the generated code using non-deprecated
-xarch options - there are details in the links above.

> We're only just getting around to setting up the compiler but once it's
> up and running we'll test your patch with it.

I've found quite a few issues with C++ 5.9, so we'll probably stick to
5.8+patches for now - at least until the obvious optimiser bugs are
worked out.

I've logged a compile-time showstopper (a ube assertion that crops up
in both 4.1.3 and 4.2.0) with bugs.sun.com, but I haven't logged a
runtime problem with the numeric limits configuration test which makes
it impossible to compile with any optimisation on sparcv8/sparcv9 (I
haven't had time to look into the problem).

I'm also seeing the support/atomic* tests timing out on the i386 and
amd64 - this is unexpected, but I haven't had time to look into this
yet.

Some of the tests are also hitting backend corner cases - I've never
seen the UBE take as much memory as it does now, and I've never seen
it use a whole CPU before:
  7723 michael   315M  312M cpu0     0    0   0:05:43  50% ube/1

Michael