From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Convert MSVC CRT debug reports to rwtest driver debug reports
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 22:30:45 GMT
Farid Zaripov wrote:
>   In some tests in debug mode GUI popups appear.
>   We can disable this popups by using _CrtSetReportMode(,
> _CRTDBG_MODE_DEBUG), but I think
> it would be useful to convert them into the rwtest debug reports
> (rw_warn(), rw_error(), rw_assert()).
> This conversion can be made by installing custom hook function.

Sounds reasonable, but I'd like to know a little bit more about
what types of errors we're dealing with here.

Which of the three types of diagnostics does your patch convert
them to? I think rw_error() would be appropriate for undefined
behavior like memory corruption detected by the CRT, etc. What
other types of errors cause these popups?

>   And also MSVC8 CRT performs parameter checking with invoking Dr.Watson
> tool (the result is GUI
> popup) in case the invalid parameter was passed to the CRT function. I
> suggest to convert this popups
> to the rw_note() reports (or maybe rw_error()).

In terms of the severity, rw_note() is quite different from
rw_error(), so it's important to understand what types of errors
we're dealing with. Can you give more detail about these invalid
parameter errors, or a few examples?

>   The proposed patch below:

It would be helpful to see a ChangeLog entry for the patch.

Thanks
Martin