From Liviu Nicoara <nico...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Intel Thread Checker Support
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 19:57:25 GMT
Eric Lemings wrote:

> Questions for STDCXX users and maintainers regarding Intel Thread
> Checker (ITC):
>
> 1. Would STDCXX benefit from ITC support?

Stdcxx uses its own synchronization mechanisms, outside the POSIX
threads API. Thus, it is possible that an executable linked with stdcxx
and instrumented with ITC could report false positives.

The tool is a developer tool aimed at identifying MT programming errors.
In this respect is very similar with other automated tools aimed at
reducing programming errors and or optimizing programs.

> 2. Should ITC support be added to STDCXX?

There is one issue here which needs paying attention to. Is it desirable
to have stdcxx integrated with the rest of SourcePro (which already
supports ITC)? I think the answer is yes -- please correct me if I am wrong.

ITC support is not going to altering stdcxx code. We will merely make
ITC aware of the synchronization constructs in stdcxx so that it will
take them into account. This involves a few guards around a [very] few
selected places in stdcxx.

Liviu