From Andrew Black <abl...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: unprintable characters in Windows build logs
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 14:51:59 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:
> Farid Zaripov wrote:
>>
>>   I'm afraid the only way to get rid of them is postprocess output
>> using some script.
>
> I see. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble unless we already do
> some other preprocessing on these or other files. What do you
> think?
>
>> That characters is coming during cleanup step. Windows build scripts
>> doesn't contain
>> such step. I suppose that night build system invokes cleanup step
>> after invoking the
>> build_msvc-x.x.bat batch file. This batch file invokes build.wsf
>> script and then makelog.wsf
>> script. I can add "/clean" switсh to the build.wsf script and add
>> invoking "build.wsf /clean"
>> аfter invoking makelog.wsf within build_msvc-x.x.bat batch file.

I don't think adding this switch to the generated build_foo.bat script
would help me much, as I run my own script on the result logs to extract
the information I want from them, and I copy several files to alternate
locations prior to calling devenv with the /clean switch.

> I suppose the nightly build script that invokes the Windows
> infrastructure could do this type of postprocessing for us
> since it already does do some processing (I think it does).
> Andrew, what are your thoughts?

At this time, the log file on windows is essentially a redirection of
the console output to a file.  It would be possible to post-process this
output similar to how we do so on unix, but we don't have anything doing
such processing on windows at this time.