From Liviu Nicoara <nico...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Intel Thread Checker Support
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 22:50:22 GMT
On May 20, 2007, at 11:57 PM, Martin Sebor wrote:

> Eric Lemings wrote:
>>  Questions for STDCXX users and maintainers regarding Intel Thread
>> Checker (ITC):
>>  1. Would STDCXX benefit from ITC support?
>
> I don't know :) Does it reveal any problems in our code? Is it worth
> the effort? From what I've heard from Liviu it sounds like a quite
> a bit of work for not a whole lot of benefit.

The main benefit of this exercise is to eliminate the false positives
in the ITC analysis of the code which uses stdcxx. This is the
exactly what I have avoided in the other libraries in the Core
package by using the ITC synchronization API.

> I think it would be good to see examples of bug in our code revealed
> by the tool.

I agree it would be a spectacular demonstration of the usefulness of
the tool but -- based on my knowledge of the stdcxx code -- I
strongly doubt I can demonstrate an MT bug in it. Do you know of an
unresolved MT bug in stdcxx?

Liviu