From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: TR1 Development Plan
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:07:42 GMT
Mark Brown wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I don't know if there is a development plan per se except for a number of Jira issues
(one for each section of the TR). Your suggestion to make the extensions available in namespace
std sounds like a fine idea to me.

The issue is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-27
and all its subtasks. And correct, there is no "master plan"
other than just the willingness and desire to do it :) The
only ingredient we're short on is time.

The idea behind the issue and the subtasks is for people to
add their comments (e.g., what they're working on, etc.) so
as to avoid duplication of effort. So I suppose you could
think of them as a poor man's version of a development plan.
If you'd like to propose a more formal process that would
be just fine with me :) We could even ask INFRA to set up
a Wiki for us to make collaborating easy.

Given that TR1 has been out for so long that it has been
incorporated into the draft C++ standard (except for the
special math functions) it probably makes sense to put the
implementation directly into namespace std as Brad suggests,
instead of into std::tr1. Guarding with a macro also sounds
like a good idea, at least until it's stable enough and until
the new standard is ratified.

> I am also interested in the TR1 extensions but I haven't experimented with those in stdcxx
yet. I have spent most of my time so far trying to understand the stdcxx build process and
experimenting with the tests but as soon as I feel comfortable making more extensive changes
I would like to offer my help with the new hash-based containers.

That or any other contributions would be most welcome!

Martin