From Andrew Black <abl...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Re: regression test suite naming convention
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:26:18 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:
>> I also like option (3) best, so sounds like the home for
>> the new regression tests is unanimously in tests/regress/
>>
>> The remaining question is the file name convention. Do we
>> go with <section-number>.stdcxx-<issue-number>.cpp or do
>> we allow things like:
>>
>> <section-number>.<dot-clause>.stdcxx-<issue-number>.cpp
>>
>> e.g., 23.vector.cons.stdcxx-123.cpp
>>
>> FWIW, I see no reason not to allow it since it provides
>> additional useful detail.
>
> One thing occurred to me with this convention that might be somewhat
> of an issue: the file name can be quite long and might exceed the
> width of the first column in the table formatted by the exec utility.
> If exec strips characters that exceed the width of the column like
> runall did we could either remove the "stdcxx" part of the file name
> or modify exec to extend the width of the column to fit the longest
> file name. Andrew, how hard do you think it would be to change exec
> to do the latter?

Greetings Martin.

While it wouldn't be trivial to modify the exec utility to automatically
calculate the width of the first column, it would be a straightforward
change.  Basically, prior to running the targets, you'd need to loop
through the list of targets, and determine the length of the longest
name.  Once this value has been determined, you can use it in formatting
the column width.

My only concern with dropping the 'stdcxx' part of the name is there
might be a desire to include regression tests from other bug tracking
systems.  However, we'd probably want to copy such incidents into Jira,
rendering this concern moot.

--Andrew Black