From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Cygwin cannot find -lstd12d
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 00:34:10 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:
> Mark Brown wrote:
[...]
>> $ make
>> gcc -c -I/home/mbrown/stdcxx/include/ansi   -mthreads
>> -D_RWSTD_USE_CONFIG -I/home/mbrown/stdcxx/include
>> -I/home/mbrown/stdcxx-12d/include
>> -I/home/mbrown/stdcxx/examples/include  -pedantic -nostdinc++ -O2  -W
>> -Wall -Wcast-qual -Winline -Wshadow -Wwrite-strings -Wno-long-long
>> -Wcast-align   /home/mbrown/stdcxx/examples/manual/accumulate.cpp
>>
>> (...lots of warnings about failed inlining...)
>
> I'm guessing these are the same warnings we get with gcc 3.4.4
> on Linux (see below). I don't think we have an issue for them
> in Jira and we probably should. They make builds excessively
> noisy. I suspect the only way to deal with them is to disable
> them completely. IIRC, we looked into restructuring our code
> some time ago to help the inliner (or avoid trying to inline
> those that looked unreasonably big) but discovered it wasn't
> really feasible. I think the gcc maintainers must have realized
> the warnings weren't useful and removed them (or fixed the
> feature) in a later version of the compiler.

I was wrong about the inliner warnings having been removed
from the latest gcc. They're still there and can be seen in
the latest nightly build results with gcc 4.1.1, e.g.:

http://people.apache.org/~sebor/stdcxx/results/redhat_as-5.0-em64t-gcc-32b-4.1.1-8s-log.gz.txt

We need to do something about them, either clean them up or
remove the -Winline option from the command line.

Martin