From Andrew Black <abl...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: --compat mode behavior issues
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 17:51:17 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:
> Andrew Black wrote:
> [...]
>> Attached is a patch that implements the rwtest and makefile changes
>> for this option.  One problem observed is that the 22.locale.time.get,
>> 22.locale.time.put, and 27.objects now report a FORMAT status.  The
>> cause of these messages is output after the assertion count has been
>> printed.  The compatibility mode parsing logic searches for the
>> summary total in a different way than the normal mode, and is
>> therefore affected by this output where the normal mode isn't.
>
> So is the problem that we start parsing too late in the file
> (i.e., seek not far enough back) and end up skipping part of
> the important output? Could we start parsing the output at
> an earlier point in the file?

That would be an accurate assessment.  It would be possible to move the
seek position to a spot earlier in the file, but it would also be
necessary to alter the FSM used to search for the assertion count, as
the current method searches for the string "\n## ", which will also
match in the header of the file.  This spurious matching is what lead to
the change to output.cpp embedded into the patch.