From Andrew Black <>
Subject Re: failed examples reported as passing with MSVC or vice versa
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:55:27 GMT
Greetings Martin.

My first impression is that the problem with the windows infrastructure
rather than the exec utility.  It should be noted that the build in
question (likely) is a 64 bit build, necessitating use of one of the
shared 64 bit build machines.  I suspect the significant portion of the
log is the few lines following those quoted.  Extracted from a candidate
build, the lines in question are

6) Microsoft JScript runtime error: Permission denied
422>Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from
"Performing Custom Build Step"
422>Build log was saved at
422>.stdlib_examples - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

My reading of this message is that the runall.wsf script failed to
complete a file system command.  Unfortunately, I am having difficulties
determining where the failure occurred, as the line number is
meaningless within the context of a text editor.  I tend to suspect that
this translates to line 118 of the runall.wsf script.  A potential
contributing cause is the permissions of the build directory used by the
nightly testing system.

--Andrew Black

Martin Sebor wrote:
> While going through our MSVC 8.0 jumbled up log I came across
> what looks like incorrect behavior of either the exec utility
> or the Windows infrastructure. What seems to be happening is
> that while exec reports some examples as passing the rest of
> the infrastructure actually says they failed. Below are lines
> from the log relevant to the accumulate.exe example.
> Andrew and/or Farid, could you guys look into it to see which
> part of the infrastructure is broken?
> Thanks
> Martin
> 422>Performing Custom Build Step
> 422>running accumulate.exe
> 422>NAME                      STATUS WARN ASSERTS FAILED PERCNT    USER
>     SYS    REAL
> 422>accumulate.exe                 0    0           0.330
> 422>example output differs from the expected
> 422>example failed! Exit code 0
> 422>

View raw message