From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: duplicate error message in Windows builds
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 02:53:04 GMT
Farid Zaripov wrote:
[...]
>>Can you tell if our dependencies are set up correctly?
>

>   Yes. MSVC project system have two way to setup project dependency:
> "Project Dependencies" and "Project References". I don't know what the
> difference,

I played with the GUI a little bit and from what I've seen references
seem a lot more sophisticated than dependencies. But I still couldn't
get the stupid thing to stop after the first failure. I can't believe
it could really be that dumb!

Btw., the generated stdcxx solution is so huge now (over 500 projects)
that it takes minutes to do anything in it. The IDE freezes up every
time I switch configurations or make other simple changes. How do you
deal with it? If it's as bad for you as it is for me we'll need to do
something about it. Perhaps we should consider creating separate
solutions, one for examples, one for tests, etc. Thoughts?

[...]
>>I think the best way to confirm whether it is or isn't
>>possible to skip building projects whose dependencies failed
>>is to create a small toy example solution with a couple of
>>projects one of which depends on the other and see if
>>invoking the Build method causes both of them to be build or just one.
>

>   The example shows that both projects are trying to be build.
>
>   BTW when single project is built, the all source files are compiled,
> even if some errors
> were found in the first compiled source file. I think situation with
> building the solution
> with a couple of projects is the same.

Yeah, I saw that too. There's gotta be a way to make it stop after
the first error. We should ask on some Microsoft VisualStudio forum
and get a confirmation that we're doing the right thing. The online
documentation available from Microsoft on the subject seems pretty
pathetic and not at all helpful.

Martin