From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: RFC: publishing nightly test results
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:41:20 GMT
Andrew Black wrote:
> Greetings Farid.
>
> The reason for the 'DATA' on windows is because the locales aren't being
> tested at this time.  The reason they aren't being tested is because the
> glue script hasn't been designed to parse the test driver output,
> generated by the locale test script.  Under the Unix infrastructure, the
> locale test scripts are run using the exec utility.  If consistency
> between the Unix and Windows infrastructure is desired, it would make
> sense to run the locale tests using the exec utility.

I agree, we should strive for consistency between the UNIX and
Windows infrastructures and it would be a good thing to eliminate
as much platform-specific code as possible. Obviously we can't get
rid of all of it but whatever we can share we should (an example
of change in this direction is:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=464428).

> We actually do capture the HTML output within our automated testing
> system, but it isn't part of the published nightly results, as it would
> be a special case.  The build log (the first file associated with each
> build) is the output from stdout/stderr when running the glue scripts.
> One enhancement I would appreciate seeing would be the output of the
> library and example build process on the standard output from the
> build_(compiler).bat script, as it provides no indication of the
> progress being made while the script runs.

Yes, that would definitely be an improvement over what we publish
today. The build log we publish for Windows builds is much less
useful that what we have for UNIX.

Martin