From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: incorrect runtimes
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:39:19 GMT
Andrew Black wrote:
[...]
> I suspect a better description of the time values returned for platforms
> other than Solaris would be 'times for all immediate children, plus
> times for all descendants who have been waited upon by their parent
> processes.'

So the reported system and user times are basically meaningless unless
we know the internal details of the process they are reported for, i.e.,
whether it creates and waits for any child processes of its own. That
seems like a usability defect in the POSIX spec. The Solaris behavior
OTOH makes perfect sense.

[...]
> Attached is a refinement of the version C of the patches I sent to the
> list earlier.  The main changes in this version are a refinment on the
> handling of kill failures and correction of a pair of off-by one errors.

Okay, thanks. The commit is here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=449534

Martin