From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: AW: boost ?!
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:01:32 GMT
Duft Markus wrote:
> OMG, i'm so blind...... I messed up 12d and 15d, maybe those should get other names ;o)
now it's all clear why it can't work....

Yes, container iterators have different types between debug and
optimized builds, with std::string and std::vector being plain
pointers for efficiency. This makes the two kinds of builds
incompatible with one another.

> Anyway thanks for your time, and sorry for messing around in here!

No problem. Glad you got it worked out.

Martin

PS I haven't played with wgcc too much yet but I like the concept.
In fact, I've been thinking about writing a similar tool for some
time, one that would provide a uniform interface to all compilers
(i.e., the same set of compiler options across all). Have you
considered enhancing wgcc in this way?

> Cheers, Markus
>
> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

std::allocator<char> >::begin(void)

> The Stdcxx library has symbols some symbols which are close:
>
> __imp_?begin@?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QAE?AV?$__rw_debug_iter@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@PADPAD@__rw@@XZ
>
> Which would be:
>
> __imp_public: class __rw::__rw_debug_iter<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
std::allocator<char> >,char *,char *> __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct
std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::begin(void)

> I now think that somehow there is a problem with the headers thinking they need to compile
debug iterators (in build 15d!?) and when using the lib, they think something else ;o// i
looked at my config.h but there was nothing i could see in there. I attached it, maybe you
can see something.

> Cheers, Markus
>
> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

the second is a 64-bit or wide one (LLP64 on Windows). The "wide" has nothing to do with wchar_t,
it refers to the width of the data type(s).

> Stdcxx has full support for wchar_t as long as the compiler supports it. Keep in mind
that the MSVC /Zc:wchar_t option changes the type and mangling of wchar_t and thus is a binary
incompatible option.
> Programs that link with the library must be compiled with same setting of the option
as the library (i.e., both on or both off).

> See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dh8che7s.aspx
>

>>And there seem to be some differences from windows STL to this one in
>>which files get included automatically from other includes and so on,
>>since i need to explicitly include some files for some things to work
>>(like std::hex and std::dec are not found, except i include istream or
>>so....)
>

> Stdcxx is much less promiscuous (i.e., a lot cleaner) than other implementations of the
C++ standard library when it comes to its headers introducing unnecessary names into scope.
std::hex and other manipulators are required to be declared in the header <ios> and
nowhere else so in order to use them you must include that header.