From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: boost ?! unresolved symbols
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:14:49 GMT
Duft Markus wrote:
> Hey again, sorry for bothering you all ;o)
>
> I played around a little with building boost, as i said in my last mail.
> Now i manage to build a big part of boost, but most objects that build,
> don't link. I attached as an example the output of the
> boost_date_time.dll build. Maybe one of you can see what i'm doing wrong.
>
> The really funny thing is, that he cannot find things like:
> __declspec(dllimport) public: char * __thiscall
> std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> std::allocator<char> >::end(void). (they are really not present in the
> library stdlib15d.lib/.dll, and i have no idea qhy the heck he's
> searching for them (from which header he got the idea of their presence).

The functions are defined inline in the header <string>. All but
the non-const overload of begin() are defined inside the class
template. The non-const overload of begin() is defined outside
(it makes a difference -- see http://tinyurl.com/mcukj).

I'm afraid I don't really have a good idea what might going on
in your build. AFAIK, the stdcxx examples and tests link fine
so there must either be some configuration or other similar
mismatch between how you built the stdcxx library and how it's
being used, or the link command is incorrect. Make sure the set
of compiler options you use to compile your program is compatible
with those used to build the library (e.g., /Zc:wchar_t).

Martin