From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: link failure in exec
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:51:07 GMT
On 8/7/06, Martin Sebor <sebor@roguewave.com> wrote:
> The exec utility is failing to link with Compaq/HP C++ on Tru64
> and with Sun C++ on Solaris. One of the errors is below. I marrowed
> down the problem to compiler bugs (limitations) on these systems
> and crated "External" issues for reference:
>
>    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-266
>    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-267
>
> I suspect the vendors of the buggy compiler will not be able to fix
> the bugs because of binary compatibility concerns and we will need
> to work around them by being consistent about the way we declare
> and define functions.

FYI, this occurs with the latest Sun Studio patchset too...

% CC -c -V t.cpp -o foo.o && CC -DMAIN t.cpp foo.o
CC: Sun C++ 5.8 Patch 121018-02 2006/04/26
ccfe: Sun C++ 5.8 Patch 121018-02 2006/04/26
void foo(int)                      t.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out

HTH.  -- justin