From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Generation of the solution and projects for MSVC/ICC
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:32:54 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:

> Could you help me understand what you mean by "being able to unwind
> build problems with wrong flags, etc?" The ability to debug compiler
> and linker command line options? If that's it, what makes these
> automation interfaces unhelpful in this regard? (I'm not very
> familiar with VisualStudio automation).

What I meant was that to most of us, looking at the build command line
commands from a makefile, which we can get by exporting the .dsp/.dsw
flavor to .mak format, is usually quite helpful.  The coolaid comment
was that MS is fantastic for wrapping up the build environment into
something that 'just works', but that you can't really inspect as it
works, at least in my experience.

"Hiding the ugly details from the user" is the modus operandi.
I'm not a fan of the approach :)