From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: run_locale_utils.sh
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 18:13:31 GMT
Farid Zaripov wrote:
>   I can't understand what does the line "test -z "`echo $it | grep .cm`"
> ;" in function below?
>
> check_locale_m()
> {
>     printf "Checking \"locale -m\" output..." >$dbgout
>     loc_m_out=`${locale} -m`
>     for it in $loc_m_out; do
>         assertions=`expr $assertions + 1`
> 	if test -z "`echo $it | grep .cm`" ; then
>             echo " incorrect." >$dbgout
>             echo "ERROR: \"locale -m\" failed."  >$dbgout
>             echo >$dbgout
>             failedassertions=`expr $failedassertions + 1`
>         fi;
>     done;
>     echo " correct." >$dbgout
> }
>
>   I suppose that in command 'grep .cm' ".cm" is a regular expression and
> grep utility should print lines that contains <anychar>cm?

My guess is that whoever wrote it (cough, Liviu, cough) meant
a literal period, not just any character (i.e., grep "\.cm")
and the expression was supposed to look for the .cm file suffix
(where .cm presumably stands for Character Map).

If that's correct the regular expression should look for ".cm"
at the end each string, i.e., "\.c

>   On my machine on Windows locale -m produces:
> ANSI_X3.110-1983
[...]
>   I not see the lines that matches to the ".cm"  regexp. And because of
> this
> the sanity check fails.

I don't know why. We'd have to ask the original author if he
still remembers -- Liviu?

Martin