From "Nicole Willson" <will...@roguewave.com>
Subject RE: problem in temp_buffer
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:09:07 GMT
No, I'm doing a 32 bit build on a 64bit platform

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Sebor [mailto:sebor@roguewave.com]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 12:05 PM
To: stdcxx-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: problem in temp_buffer

Nicole Willson wrote:
> Ok, when I changed the test to allocate a significantly larger chunk
> of memory (18,446,744,073,709,551,615, the equivalent of
> FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF (8bytes)), it finally failed to allocate and returned
a 0 as expected.
> So the question becomes, is the value of _RWSTD_PTRDIFF_MAX incorrect
> for this platform, or is it just that there is another problem that
> gets covered up by having the memory so large?

I'm not sure I see the relevance of PTRDIFF_MAX but the macro should
expand to the largest value representable in an object of type
ptrdiff_t, which is a signed integer type capable of representing the
difference between any two pointers. It will usually be the same as
LONG_MAX, i.e., 0x7fffffff on 32-bit platforms and 0x7fffffffffffffff on
64-bit platforms.

Btw., if you are doing a 64-bit build the addresses below (in the gdb
output) don't look quite correct.

Martin