From "Anton Pevtsov" <Ant...@moscow.vdiweb.com>
Subject RE: basic_string::insert (iterator p, InputIterator first, InputIterator last) on Linux, gcc-4.0.2
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 12:09:33 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:
> Does the replace test fail as well? Since insert() just calls
> replace() I would expect it to fail. If it doesn't, either the replace
test isn't exhaustive enough or what you're seeing is due to a problem
in something other than string.

Current replace test version doesn't exercise this case. I am updating
this test now.

Martin Sebor wrote:
> FWIW, it doesn't fail with gcc 3.4.3 on Cygwin. That might be because
the MSVC debug library behaves differently (e.g., it scribbles over
freed/uninitialized memory).

It works fine on MSVC. The test fails on SuSe Linux 9.1 with gcc 4.0.2
only. And it looks like this is a problem on my local machine - Liviu
couldn't reproduce it.
When I finish the replace test I'll clean up all on my Linux machine and
build the library from scratch again.

Thanks,
Anton Pevtsov.

> The basic_string::insert (iterator p, InputIterator first,
> InputIterator
> last) doesn't work correctly on Linux for string str when
> first = str.begin() + 1, last = str.begin() + 3.

Does the replace test fail as well? Since insert() just calls
replace() I would expect it to fail. If it doesn't, either the replace
test isn't exhaustive enough or what you're seeing is due to a problem
in something other than string.

FWIW, it doesn't fail with gcc 3.4.3 on Cygwin. That might be because
the MSVC debug library behaves differently (e.g., it scribbles over
freed/uninitialized memory).

Martin