From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: test for 21.strings.capacity
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 23:13:57 GMT
Anton Pevtsov wrote:
> The attached file contains the updated version of the test for
> 21.string.capacity.
> I modified the code and pass the tested string length to the widen
> function and basic_string ctor to avoid the bug with strings containing
> embedded NULs.

Okay. There still are a small number of improvements that I think
would make the test better. For one, it would be helpful to line
up the arguments to the TEST macro to make them easier to read.
Also, it would make the test for each member function more readable
if you added arrows pointing to each argument and documenting what
each stands for (as is already done in test_reserve).

I'm also not sure I understand the purpose of widening "a" when the
str argument is 0 in test_string_capacity. It seems that widen should
be called with the 0 pointer in this case (widen handles NULL pointers
just fine).

Finally, there is no difference between invoking the test function
like this

     TEST ("Test\0string", 11);

or like this:

     TEST ("Test\000string", 11);

Either way the effect is identical since \0 and \000 both represent
the NUL character. Instead I would exercise sequences of consecutive
NULs such as "\0", "\0\0", and "\0\0\0" and similar sequences but
with non-NULs thrown in, e.g., "\0a\0", "\0ab\0", etc.

> But I suspect a bug in the rw_assert formatting output for {#*S}.
> The wchar string "abc" is displayed as "a\0b" (maybe the function
> dumps each byte, not symbol here).

Yes. That's the expected result. In general, the extended formatting
directives (such as %{#*S}) format their arguments so that they are
human readable even when the arguments contain non-printable
characters. Here's an example:

     $ cat t.cpp && ./t
     #include <string>
     #include <rw_printf.h>

     int main ()
     {
         const std::string s ("abc\0def", 7);
         const std::wstring ws (L"abc\0def", 7);

         rw_printf ("%{#1S}\n", &s);
         rw_printf ("%{#*S}\n", sizeof (wchar_t), &ws);
     }

     "abc\0def"
     L"abc\0def"

> Btw., maybe it would be useful to move the widen function to rw_char
> header (or some another place in the test driver).

Definitely. I suspect three overloads of rw_widen() will actually
be useful (and already are being used in various forms throughout
the test suite):

   char*     rw_widen (char*,     const char*, size_t);
   wchar_t*  rw_widen (wchar_t*,  const char*, size_t);
   UserChar* rw_widen (UserChar*, const char*, size_t);

where the first is equivalent to memcpy().

Martin