From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Problem with num_put on zOS
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:25:36 GMT
Nicole Willson wrote:
> As to how I configured the library: I did not.  Someone set this up long
> before I got here and left the company.  I've only made what tweaks were
> needed to the makefiles to get everything to build.  And now I've tweaked
> the rwc_std_11d.h file, to define the NO_COLLAPSE macros listed below.  I am
> not aware of anything more that is required to configure the library outside
> of RCB and ccd files.

It is critical that you reconfigure the library when you switch
environments, especially when you are moving from one OS to a
another that is likely to be quite different. I don't know much
about z/OS but from what I've heard it's nothing like anything
else out there. A compiler on such an OS is also likely to be
different than even the same compiler on another OS (just think
about IBM XLC++ on AIX and Linux and the differences between
the two).

If you'd configure the library you'll almost certainly wind up
with a misconfigured product. You might get it to compile and
link, and if you're lucky you might even get programs to run
but you will run a huge risk of not adapting the library to
some obscure and otherwise hard to detect bugs or quirks.

Martin