From Anton Pevtsov <>
Subject Re: Re: test for lib.alg.nth.element
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:05:59 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:
 > That's definitely not strict enough for a linear algorithm
 > (i.e., O(K * N) with K << N)

I exercised the nth_element algorithm with large random-generated
sequnces and found that K is not great than 8.
The attached patch sets the upper bound to 8 * N to avoid function of N
there. The better way is to avoid such "magic"
numbers at all, but for this purpose it is necessary to found the worst
sequence for an algorithm.
So I suggest to open the jira issue as a reminder that we need to
investigate each algorithm to find the worst case for it and
use the complexity on this worst sequence as the upper bound in tests.

2006-02-02  Anton Pevtsov  <>

    * 25.nth.element.cpp (test_nth_element): update the upper bound
    value to more strict one.

With best wishes,
Anton Pevtsov