From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] publish stdcxx 4.1.3
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:39:39 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 06:47:12PM -0700, Martin Sebor wrote:
>
>>I created a tarball of the stdcxx 4.1.3 branch (minus the docs/
>>subdirectory):
>>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stdcxx/branches/4.1.3/
>>
>>and placed in my home directory:
>>http://people.apache.org/~sebor/stdcxx/stdcxx-incubating-4.1.3.tar.gz
>

> It doesn't build on Mac OS X 10.4.3.  (Not sure that I tested it on Darwin
> earlier.)
>
> I get:
>
> -----
> make config
>
> configuring for gcc-4.0.0 on darwin-8.3.0-power-macintosh
>
> checking if compiler is sane                       ok
> checking if linker is sane                         no
>
> int main () { return 0; }
> gcc -c -pedantic -nostdinc++  -Wall -W -Wcast-qual -Winline -Wshadow
> -Wwrite-strings -Wno-long-long -Wcast-align -D_RWSTD_USE_CONFIG -I. a.cpp
> gcc a.o   -lm -lsupc++ -o a.out
> /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lsupc++
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> -----
>
> Is this a known issue?

It is now :) Let me add it to Jira:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-111

It looks like Apple decided to get rid of libsupc++ in their gcc 4.
I just hope they didn't integrate it into libstdc++ -- that would
prevent programs from linking with third party implementations of
the C++ Standard Library (such as STDCXX) due ODR violations (i.e.,
due to both libraries containing their own definitions of the same
symbols).

FWIW, we have only very recently (last week, in fact) tried to build
on OS X. Andrew has filed a bunch of issues for the problems that he
has uncovered so far -- see
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?requestId=12310512

Since several of them are involved and would require us to recertify
the library on all the platforms where it has passed my goal is to get
them fixed in 4.1.4. Does that sound reasonable?

> Finally, not a showstopper, but it'd be *really* nice if etc/config/README
> were moved to the top-level directory.  =)  -- justin

I agree. Let me add an issue for it:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-112

Martin