From "Anton Pevtsov" <Ant...@moscow.vdiweb.com>
Subject Re: Re: [Fwd: Solution generartion script for Intel 9.0 compiler]
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:51:17 GMT
Martin Sebor wrote:
[...]
> I'm not sure where to look for more details. It would be useful to
display the command line that failed and the actual error, just like
the GNU makefile infrastructure does (I encourage you to try   > to
invoke it without a compiler in your path or with the wrong compiler to
see how it behaves).

Yes, the message misses the information about where to look for the
config.log file. This file contains all commands executed during the
config.h building. I'll update the configure.wsf script error messages
and they will tell the user where to look for the log.

Currently the log is generated here:
$(BUILDDIR)\$(CONFIG)\inculde\<build type>\config.log

I think the cause of your problem is that intel compiler (icl.exe)
couldn't be found. "devenv" uses IDE paths to VC++ dirs and it looks
like
the Intel Compiler installation didn't not set paths to Intel
directories. There should be $(ICInstallDir)Bin n the IDE VC++
Directories list (Tools->Options->Projects->VC++ Directories) for
executable files, $(ICInstallDir)Lib for library files and
$(ICInstallDir)Include for include files. If they are absent add them
manually and try to build the solution, please.

The Visual Studio IDE paths are stored in the VCComponents.dat file
which is situated in Documents and Settings\<User name>\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1 folder.

I see the following ways to solve this problem with paths:
1. Add the paths requirements to the prerequisites: the user should add
paths to IDE VC++ Dirs before the building.
2. Modify VCComponents.dat file from the script. This seems to be
tricky.
3. Build the soltuion using the /useenv switch. This will work for Intel
but will not work for MSVC, so it will be necessary to add some "if"
into the build.bat file.

I think that we may try to implement the third option but keep in mind
the first one. Also, some "readme" document (with prerequsites and logs
description) may be helpful.
What do you think about it?

Martin Sebor wrote:
> I was also surprised to see that the icc-9.0 configuration created
> projects only for Intel C++ and not also for MSVC. I expected to see
> the Configuration drop down box in the IDE populated with > build
> types for both compilers. Would that be possible to do without much
> space and runtime overhead?

No, I am afraid. This requires significant changes in the solution
generation script. Also this increases the difference in the solution
generation process between Intel and MSVC, and it will be necessary to
review the script architecture to avoid code duplication.

With best wishes,
Anton Pevtsov