From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: svn co
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:31:06 GMT
Lance Diduck wrote:
> OK managed to hack subversion enough to actually get all the files. But
> trying to compile I found out the make system wants to make a config header.
> And for that I need a regular Unix system.

Or an emulator such as CygWin.

> Can you send be what the config.h file would be for MSVC 7.1? (I'm actually
> using MSVC 8.0 beta 2 but I can work out the differences.) Then I can work
> this into NMAKE for a windows command line install.

I wouldn't recommend using a configuration for a different version of
the compiler. It's likely to be subtly wrong and lead to nothing but
trouble. But if you still want to take a chance a 12d config header
is here: http://people.apache.org/~sebor/stdcxx/msvc-7.1-12d-config.h

Alex is working on the Windows configuration and build infrastructure
(see stdcxx-13). Hopefully he'll be done soon enough. The config script
should be ready sometime next week (Alex, please chime in if I'm off).
Until then, I suggest you use one of the UNIX platforms or CygWin (you
might need to tweak a few things to get the CygWin port working again).

> I also ported STLPort 5 beta to the MSVC 8.0, to see what it would be like,
> and it was not pretty. Turn out the XP Platform SDK sp2 wants to #define
> things like __in and __out, which the STLport guys uses as identifiers

As do we. All our local identifiers start with two underscores.

> themselves. Oops. Plus MS deprecated all of the C-style string function, and
> a few other math functios, which wreaks havoc with their streams library.

You mean they deprecated standard C string functions such as strcpy?
Good grief! (I wonder if that's the outcome of the proposed security
TR -- see www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/open/n3838.pdf).

> Also I have a question-- Let's say that I could svn co everything just fine,
> and also do a svn ci.  Is there a staging area? How do changes like this get
> regression tested?

I'm working on a new test driver for our test suite. As soon as I'm
done with it (hopefully this week), I'll check it in (stdcxx-3). The
next step will be to port the test suite to this driver (stdcxx-4).
Once that's done, we can start making changes to the library. Until
then, we shouldn't be making any significant changes to the library
in order to avoid breakage.

Martin