incubator-sis-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisse...@geomatys.fr>
Subject Re: Exploring possible contribution
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2012 08:30:18 GMT
Hello Jody

Le 04/08/12 08:47, Jody Garnett a écrit :
> We have a change proposal up, outlining what we hope is nice way for GeoTK to move forward:
> - http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Dual+License+Request

Thanks for this proposal. Just to clarify, there is in fact two
different aspects to this re-licensing request, both of them concerning
different boards:

 1. Clarify the contributor's right over their own contributions.
    Andrian, who wrote the Copyright Assignment with a Lawyer, told us
    that the intend was to give unrestricted rights to the contributors,
    including re-licensing provided that all other contributions are
    removed. This question is under OSGeo's responsibility, which is
    expected to take a decision August 9.
 2. Inclusion of some other contributions in the re-licensing, in order
    to avoid us the effort of removing/rewriting some code based on
    Subversion history. This point is under GeoTools PMC's responsibility.

We originally asked for both 1 and 2, but later on we had withdrawn the
request 2 on the basis that the amount of code to remove/rewrite is
sufficiently small, that asking only for 1 would be presumably easier,
and that making the two projects more distinct may not be bad after all.
In any cases, we need to wait for OSGeo decision anyway (we think that a
clarification of request 1 is of wider scope than just GeoTools/Geotk),
and then we will hopefully have a clearer picture of the possibilities.

     Regards,

         Martin