From Charles Matthew Chen <charlesmc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: question *slightly* off topic
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 02:14:42 GMT
   This is pretty out of scope for this mailing list, but here are
some brief thoughts:

   I know of no simple solution - I expect that the performance of
Image IO is going to be insufficient.  I suggest you look at JAI (java
advanced imaging) and native solutions (JNI, etc.).

   Your requirements are going to be an important factor in finding a
good solution.  Do you need these thumbnails written to disk (as image
files) or in memory (as, say, BufferedImages)?  Are the source images
on disk or in memory?  How many different file formats do you need to
support?  Can you depend on native code or JAI?

Charles Matthew