From Philipp Koch <pk...@day.com>
Subject Re: April board report
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 08:39:27 GMT
hi jeremias,
>"ImageIO offers so much that you only need Sanselan in very special cases"
yes and no ;-). for the jpeg use case, ImageIO is not able to read
specific jpeg headers (eg. embedded adobe jpeg in pdfs), cannot read
tiff and other file formats that sanselan is able to (without any need
to install platform dependent plugins (i think of jai)). i think that
imageIO covers all (web)usecases (jpeg, gif, png..) very well but does
not go beyond that. and that's exactely where sanselan can jump in!
i think of use cases that sanselan could fulfill in the future like:
- support "tiled image" functionality for very large images (e.g.
tiff) (i know jai does it...)
- extended metadata support (emedded xmp) for all possible image formats
- ....

regards,
philipp